Hybrid 5-day Course
Learn to Move, Move to Learn
Four, 4-hour Live Online sessions: December 13, 14, 15 and 16, 2022 at 18:00 -22:00
Three, Full day In-person Live Hands-on Course in Istanbul, Turkey. Dates: January 22-24, 26-28, and 29-31, 2023
CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS: 35.0
This interactive 5-day course focuses on the Perception-Action (P-A) Approach that allows active, spontaneous exploration of the child’s environment and promotes variability, complexity and adaptability in movement oriented to a functional task. This intervention is based on a unified view of motor control, motor learning and motor development supported by the perception-action, dynamic systems and neuronal group selection theories.
Participants will learn intervention methodology that provides for fluid integration of these theories into clinical practice and includes environmental modifications, task-specific manual guidance and caregiver instruction. Related evidence will be discussed. Lectures, videos, patient demonstrations and laboratory sessions will illustrate theoretical and clinical concepts.
Additionally, this interactive course provides participants with a unique opportunity to apply this intervention with children with movement disorders under the supervision of masters of the approach. Occupational therapists, physical therapists, and speech- language pathologists will each extract from the course material information that is useful in their discipline-specific interventions.
See registration details below
- Identify three major theories that support the P-A Approach.
- Describe three unique defining characteristics of the P-A Approach.
- Utilize knowledge of four primary concepts when performing the P-A Approach Examination.
- Design an intervention plan that includes functional goals and content that promote global development. In addition, each participant will create discipline-specific objectives to address: Postural control, movement transitions, and locomotion (PT)
- Implement an intervention that includes environmental modifications, manual guidance and caregiver instruction.
- Analyze intervention reflecting on both the participant’s and the child’s behavior and articulate potential changes to subsequent sessions.
COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
Requests for cancellation must be made in writing more than 10 days prior to the course start date to receive a refund minus $20 fee. Cancellations by IPAA and/or any cancellation due to COVID 19 will result in full refund.
SATISFACTORY COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
All virtual and in-person courses require attending the entire program, passing a post-test, and completing the course evaluation in order to receive a certificate of completion.
If registering for this course, please note the following registration process:
4. Course Completion
2. Payment Required
5. Finalize Course Completion
3. Course Content
Three, Full day In-person Live Hands-on Course in Istanbul, Turkey. Dates: January 22-24, 26-28, or 29-31
What's included in this online course?
- Introduction/Paradigm Shift
- Theoretical Foundations
- Primary Concepts
- Defining Characteristics
- Manual Guidance
- Examination/Assessment – Intervention
- ICF Model and Goal Writing
- Manual Guidance/Environmental Modification Labs
- Patient Demonstrations
- Assessment and Intervention Sessions with children
- Typical Development from a Perception-Action Approach
- Caregiver Education
Self-Experiential Movement Activities
Lisa N. Scher
Ms. Scher is one of the Founders of the Institute for Perception-Action Approach. Currently, she is working privately providing direct patient care and mentoring of therapists. She is recognized for her clinical expertise, course development capabilities, and for her engaging and effective teaching and mentoring.